1954 JAGUAR XK 120 ROADSTER
Chassis No. S673323
Engine No. W 6936-8S
British racing green with black leather interior
Engine: Six-cylinder in-line, double overhead camshft, 3,422cc, 160bhp at 5,250rpm; Gearbox: four speed manual; Suspension: front, independent with double wishbones and longitudinal torsion bars, rear, live axle, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: hydraulic four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
Few cars remain so instantly recognizable as the Jaguar XK120; its graceful and all-enveloping shape influenced the changing design of post-war sports cars. Introduced as a roadster in 1948 at the London Motor Show, it revolutionized the world's sports car market by providing a genuine 120mph. The superb twin-cam six cylinder engine was to become a mainstay of all future Jaguar products, and provided five Le Mans 24-hour victories between 1951 and 1957.
The car offered here is one of the original Special Equipment Jaguar XK 120's availaible after 1951. The special features comprise: powder coated silver wire wheels; high lift cams; a lightened flywheel; larger valves; dual exhaust and Lucas fog lamps. It also comes with the side curtains, spare tire jack, tool kit, tonneau cover and a period racing stle fleece lined leather hood strap.
This Jaguar was purchased in 1988 by the present owner who is from a well known family in the Monterey Peninsula engaged in both the neckware and wine-making businesses. It has since undergone a complete nut and bolt restoration taking the car up to Concours standard. The work was undertaken by the renowned Jaguar Concours specialists, Mike Wilson's Restorations in Visalia, California. The restoration icluded an engine rebuild in which it was dynamically balanced and was given new timing gear, drive chains and valves. The chassis was stripped, restored and sprayed with black imron.The body was tank dipped, stripped and heated with rust preventative before being finished in show quality paint. The interior was finished in the correct and luxurious materials of Connally leather, with Wilton wool carpets and the top and side curtains in Hartz cloth canvas. The restoration was completed in September 1995 with the work costing approximately $70,000. The car has been driven only 1,500 miles since.
Although the above details speak for themselves, one can only underline the superb overall quality of this car which Christie's are very pleased to present on behalf of the owner. This special equipment Jaguar is quite resplendent in its British racing green and further enhanced by the bonnet strap, fog lamps and painted wire wheels.