1955 CADILLAC SERIES 62 CONVERTIBLE
Registration No. Not UK Registered
Serial No. 5562 68 659
Engine No. 5562 68 659
White with red and white interior
Engine: V8, overhead valve, 331 cu. ins., 250 bhp at 4,800 rpm; Gearbox: four speed column shift Hydra-Matic automatic; Suspension: independent front with shocks, springs and ride stabilizer bar, rear leaf springs with shock absorbers; Brakes: Bendix hydraulic four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
In 1948 the Cadillac division of General Motors unleashed the first of two major automotive innovations: they adorned the rear of the new 1948 models with a small yet tasteful innovation in body design, the tailfin, debuting in altogether sublime fashion. Though in the ensuing years the body styles changed, Cadillac's tailfin design remained unchanged until the mid 1950's, when its size began to exponentially grow with each year's new model.
The following year Cadillac debuted the new overhead valve, short stroke, high compression V8 engine. The brilliantly designed motor had been on the drawing board since the late 1930s. The combined commitment of staff engineer Harry F. Barr, engineering Vice President Edward N. Cole and Cadillac Motor Division General Manager John Gordon to the project was evident in the final result. It was the model to which so many cars would be compared. For the Cadillac designers, the engine was manufactured and designed to allow for routine improvements and developments to be added annually.
Early 1950s Cadillacs catapulted the luxury General Motors division into its most lucrative decade. The two-man team of Bill Mitchell and Harley Earl continued to produce the most opulent and popular cars. The combination of thoughtful and attractive styling and the advanced engine design of the overhead valve V8 brought together all the elements for true classics.
By the 1955 season, the Series 62 had gained a wraparound windscreen, bullet bumper overriders, and scuttle ventilator amongst other features. Compared with the previous year's model it only had a handful of minor alterations, which merely amounted to wider spaced grille blades, repositioned parking lamps which now sat beneath the headlights.
The car we present, has clearly been the subject of a substantial restoration which has now aged slightly, though it would seem not through use, but long term storage. Paintwork, interior and hood are all in good restored order. However Christie's has not had the opportunity to date to start or run the car, and so cannot comment on its mechanical order. As with all cars that have been stored or unused for any length of time we suggest that the car be carefully checked over by an engineer before committing it to the road.
It is offered without any paperwork detailing history, however we believe it was purchased approximately a fourteen years ago in New Mexico, where its numberplates were last registered in 1988.
A period jack with instructions comes with the car.