1955 JAGUAR XK140 M ROADSTER
Chassis No. 810733
Engine No. G1417-8
Silver with red leather interior
Engine: six-cylinder, twin overhead camshafts, 3,442cc, 190bhp at 5,500rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual synchromesh with overdrive; Suspension: independent front with semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: Lockheed four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
At the first post-war motor show held in England in October 1948, the revolutionary new Jaguar XK120 was introduced. In the years following, the XK120 remained a popular and successful icon in the automobile world and by October of 1954, its successor, the XK140, was introduced to an anxious and devout following of Jaguar enthusiasts. The six year life span of the XK120 allowed Jaguar to determine areas of refinement and institute them in the new XK140, with notably more passenger space and more power. The classic lines were retained and a chrome strip ran down the length of the hood, and another on the rear trunk lid drew attention to the medallion proclaiming the Le Mans wins of the marque. The bumpers were sturdier and at the rear wrapped around the fenders, a tougher grill was also introduced.
Inside, the front seat and dashboard remained the same, but the engine block was moved forward on the chassis to create more leg room and space behind the front seat, and to achieve better straight line stability. In addition, the adoption of the Alford and Alder rack-and-pinion steering led to much more response to the wheel. The XK140 'M' appearance package such as on this model included a new crankshaft damper, wire wheels, twin foglamps, and dual exhausts.
This matching numbers car was originally sold on the west coast and is an early left hand drive example. The current owner acquired the car in about 1987 from the Sacramento area and had the car comprehensively restored. The car was stripped to bare metal and displayed no rust and had remarkably straight panelwork and doors. It was repainted silver and the interior was custom finished by VIP European Auto Interiors of Tempe, Arizona. Red Connolly leather and Wilton wool carpets were fitted along with a custom made tan top and tonneau cover. The engine has covered just over 500 miles since a complete overhaul including new pistons and bearings. The head was also rebuilt and the whole package was balanced to racing engine standards. The transmission was inspected and new bearings were installed, along with a new clutch. A modification from new has been a handmade high efficiency aluminum Nascar radiator which brings the operating temperature down considerably. The owner is quite fastidious to detail and, for instance, when the fuel gauge failed, he had this rebuilt as well as fitting a new sender unit in the tank. The braking system was also completely rebuilt and this overdrive car reportedly drives beautifully.
The chome wheels were rebuilt by British Wire Wheel of Watsonville, California. Beneath the hood there are chromed cam covers, a chromed intake manifold and carburetor parts. At the completion of the restoration this XK140 scored in the high 90s in JCNA competition. As a striking example, it warrants close attention.