1955 JAGUAR XK140 MC DROPHEAD COUPE
Chassis No. P3925
Engine No. G4509-8S
Pastel blue with blue leather interior and gray piping
Engine: six-cylinder, twin overhead camshafts, 3,442cc, 210bhp at 5,750rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual synchromesh; Suspension: front, independent, rear, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel drum. Left hand drive.
The six year life span of the fabulous XK120 model suggested certain refinements such as more room, standard wire wheels and more power. In response, October 1954 saw the introduction of the XK140 with major changes in appearance and engineering.
The classic lines were retained but were protected by sturdier bumpers and a tougher grill. A chrome strip ran down the length of the hood, and another on the rear trunk lid drew attention to the medallion in the middle proclaiming the Le Mans wins of the marque. The rear bumper wrapped around the fenders and sported over riders.
Inside, the front seat and dashboard remained the same, but with considerably more leg room than the XK120 because the engine block was moved forward on the chassis. There was also space behind the front seat. Moving the engine forward led to better straight line stability, and with the adoption of the Alford and Alder rack-and-pinion steering came a much more direct response to the wheel. On the Special Equipment models designated "MC" like the car represented here, were fitted with wire wheels and Lucas FT576 foglamps, mounted above the front bumper. With the C-Type head, developed for the C-Type Le Mans race car, the bhp was raised to 210 at 5,750rpm. Also with the C-Type head came a dual exhaust system which used two separate silencers, with pipes running through holes in the chassis cross members and emerging below the rear over rider.
This XK140 has been in the owner's family for forty years. The car was purchased in 1957 by the current owner's third cousin in Sacramento, California. It was driven until 1971, and then was laid up from 1971 through 1989, when a restoration commenced. The current owner purchased the car in 1989 and completed a frame-off restoration in 1994. Charles Thornbird, respected restorer in Santa Barbara, California, together with renowned specialist, Mike Wilson, restored the car to its original color. The 140 MC has matching numbers and the car was recently judged at JCNA events and has been scoring in the 99.9 percentile. The car has a photographic file documenting the thorough restoration.