1961 BENTLEY S2 CONTINENTAL DROPHEAD COUPÉ
Registration No. Not UK registered
Chassis No. BC 61 LCZ
Engine No. C 60 BC
Garnet with dark red interior
Engine: V8, overhead valve, 6,230cc 200bhp at 4500rpm; Gearbox: four speed automatic; Suspension: front, independent with coil springs and wishbones, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: front, hydraulic and mechanical rear with servo. Left hand drive
In 1936 Park Ward patented the all-steel bodywork which was to have a profound effect upon their coachbuilding methods; at the time they were producing as many as eight bodies per week, mounted on the Bentley chassis. Following the Second World War they were employed exclusively by Rolls-Royce on their production and experimental work and were eventually to amalgamate with H.J. Mulliner in 1961. The Continental models were always faster than the standard production cars and had a tremendous air of distinction. They continued to sell well even with a large price differential which was almost fifty per cent more than the standard S2. Park Ward devised striking Drophead coupe coachwork featuring a straight-through wing line, hooded headlamps, and a radiator grill shortened by 3 inches compared with the standard S2. 388 Continentals were built between 1959-62, selling for up to £8,700 depending on the bodywork, of which just 61 were of Drophead Coupé variant to left hand drive specification.
This rare example is, we believe the 44th Drophead constructed, and was sold new to S.A.R. Prince Moulay Abdullah of Morocco. The Rolls-Royce chassis records note that the chassis was to be built to Swiss specification with a heavy gauge frame, possibly to cope with the poorer road conditions, and the additional requirements of a speedometer in kilometers, the fitment of high frequency horns with muting switch, a home type rear number plate and foglamps. A plain motif in place of the mascot was requested, and the mascot to be supplied loose. The specification sheet notes that the chassis must be despatched to Park Ward by August 25th, 1961, which it was a week early and there it was bodied with their elegant drophead coachwork, and later fitted with electric windows. The completed car was finished in black with matching Everflex power-operated hood, and upholstered in Red Vaumol leather with maroon carpets. On 12th October that year the Bentley was shipped to Casablanca.
Subsequent ownership history is not recorded, however the car was acquired in America in 1990, and has since resided in a Japanese collection for some ten years. It would appear that prior to acquisition a thorough restoration was undertaken as the condition of the interior, bodywork and engine bay is very good. Despite this period of storage, it has recently been prepared and is offered in running order.
The Bentley is sold with copies of factory build sheets, and has been fitted with air conditioning.