22 May 1997
1961 FERRARI 250GT 2+2 COUPE
COACHWORK BY PININFARINA
Navy blue with tan leather interior.
Engine: v-twelve, one overhead camshaft per bank, three twin choke Weber 36DCZ carburettors, 2953cc, 240bhp at 7,000rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual with overdrive; Suspension: front wishbone and coil springs with Houdaille damping, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs and Houdaille damping; Brakes: discs all round power assisted.
The 250GT Coupe was shown on Pininfarina's stand at the Paris Salon in 1958 and some 350's were built in the ensuing three years; the 250GT 2+2 appeared in 1960. It was the first 2+2 seater produced by Ferrari and was an immediate success, as it retained all the mechanical specifications of the Berlinetta in a more practical package. Wishbone and coil spring front suspension was introduced but the semi-elliptic rear springs were retained.
This particular 250GT was sold new in Switzerland and has been the subject of an extensive and detailed rebuild at the hands of the vendor who is a respected restorer in Switzerland. The body has been properly renovated, without the use of filler; the blue paint, chromium plate and body details are as new. Similarly the interior has new tan leather, new lead lining and carpets. The wheels were renovated by Borrani and new tyres were fitted. The brakes are new, including discs and calipers. Mechanically, the engine was found good, but the cylinder heads were rebuilt, with new valve guides. The whole work is documented in an extensive photographic file.
Contact Client Service
New York +1 212 636 2000
London +44 (0)20 7839 9060
Asia +852 2760 1766
What leading art, technology and finance specialists said at the inaugural Art +Tech Summit at Christie’s in London
From Connecticut to Kent in southeast England, homes with links to such classic works as Desire under the Elms, Lord of the Flies and The Deep Blue Sea