1961 LANCIA FLAMINIA CONVERTIBLE
COACHWORK BY TOURING
Registration No. SFF 346
Chassis No. 824-14-2101
Engine No. 832-10-13477
Old English white with blue leather interior.
Engine: All alloy, overhead valve, Vee-six, 2458cc triple carburettors; Gearbox: four speed manual trans-axle; Brakes: vacuum assisted; Suspension: wishbones, coil springs to the front, de Dion axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs to the rear. Left-hand drive.
Lancia's famous vintage motor car was the Lambda, introduced in 1921 and having a four cylinder Vee-engine with overhead valves, independent front suspension with vertical coil springs (used on all Lancias until 1956) and vacuum assisted four wheel brakes.
Subsequent distinctive Lancias included the Aprilia and Aurelia designed by Vittorio Jano of Alfa-Romeo fame and destined for success in the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio and the Monte Carlo.
The Flaminia was the first Lancia designed by Antonio Fessia and was the flagship of the range when launched in 1957. The design finally broke with tradition and discarded the vertical coil independent front suspension in favour of wishbones. The engine was a 2.5 litre Vee-six driving through an aft-mounted gearbox and de Dion rear axle. The Flaminia remained in production until 1970.
The vendor has owned this superb Flaminia convertible for six years during which time it was completely re-built between 1992 and 1995 by marque specialists, Richard Thorne, at a cost approaching ¨50,000. This major undertaking was comprehensive and invoices on file are testimony to the rebuild, which included new body parts, rebuilt mechanics and a total retrim. The Lancia is now in fabulous condition and has travelled less than 1000 miles since completion of the rebuild.
These period Lancia's are sought after collectors' cars and this example is thoroughly recommended. It is attractively finished in Old English white with a new dark blue hood and the interior re-trimmed throughout with dark blue leather seats and blue carpets.