1962 AUSTIN A60 CAMBRIDGE FOUR DOOR SALOON
Registration No. 4581 MG
Chassis No. A/AH59.35058
Car No. AH59-35058
Engine No. 16AMW-UH-Y1122
Old English White with pale blue interior.
Engine: four cylinders in line, overhead valves, 1622cc, 61bhp at 5,100 rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual; Suspension: front, independent coil springs, rear, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes, drums all round. Right hand drive.
The A60 Cambridge was 1961's evolution of BMC's A55, and upon release was welcomed by all as being a vastly improved car. The body shell was almost unchanged bar a wider front grill, less conspicuous fins, new tail lights, and a 'duo-tone' stripe adorning each side. More importantly, a longer wheelbase and wider track resulted in vastly improved handling characteristics and, combined with the growth of BMC's B-Series engine to 1622cc, created a far more exciting and popular machine. So popular, in fact, that BMC themselves were taken aback by the continued demand even after the arrival of in-house competitor/successor, the Austin 1800. Production continued into 1969 with over 276,000 units rolling off the assembly line, which by this point had been moved to the Morris works at Cowley in order to keep up with demand.
This, however, is an earlier version, born at Longbridge and finished in Old English White with a red flank stripe. The paintwork is original and is generally in good condition barring a few minor rust spots. In a colour combination particularly suited to an English summer's day, the interior is finished in an airy pale blue. It too is original and in good condition. The car's tax last expired in 1973, and the odometer shows just 20,075 miles. This car is sold with its old-style buff logbook (which shows four owners), and V5.