1963 ASTON MARTIN DB4 CONVERTIBLE SERIES V
Registration No. 247 EXN
Chassis No. DB4C/1091/R
Engine No. 370/1085
Grey with black leather interior
Engine; six cylinder in-line, twin overhead camshaft, 3,670cc, 240bhp at 5,500rpm; Gearbox; four speed manual; Brakes; four wheel disc; Suspension; all coil spring independent at front. Right hand drive.
The acquisition of Aston Martin along with Lagonda in the late 1940s by David Brown brought new security to the two companies. It also gave Aston Martin access to W.O. Bentley's splendid twin cam engine, a layout favoured on all subsequent six-cylinder cars.
The DB4 model was first seen at the 1958 London Motor Show and three years later at the same show in 1961 the DB4 convertible was introduced. Between 1961 and 1963 only 70 convertibles were produced (thirty Series IVs and forty Series Vs). The DB4 had a new superb body designed by Touring of Milan and was made under licence at the Tickford plant at Newport Pagnell. It was built to the Touring patented "super light principles". This Superleggera construction employed aluminium panels over a lattice of small tubes laid out to define the body shape, an ideal process for a small volume producer like Aston.
The Series V cars were lengthened about 3½ inches to fifteen feet which gave more leg room and luggage space. They also had a revised instrument panel as previously only fitted on the GT cars with seperate dials and gauges for all functions.
The DB4 really did put Aston Martin at the forefront of the great grand tourers and it was capable of top speeds approaching 140mph and a 0-60 time of around 9 seconds.
This convertible must surely rank as one of the very finest in the world and is a serious Concours d'Elegance contender. It has been subject to a ground up restoration at the Newport Pagnell factory of Aston Martin. The restoration commenced in the late 1980s and was completed in June 1992. With restorartion bills alone amounting to over (73,000 it is suffice to say that everthing was attended to, resulting in the superb condition the car is in today. Since the restoration the car has only covered less than 100 miles and has been carefully stored at the factory on the owner's behalf. The car has entered just two Concours d'Elegance events at the AMOC meeting at Silverstone finishing 3rd in 1992 and 2nd in 1993. We gather the car was runner up this year to another vehicle restored at the factory!
It is very hard to reasonably fault the car and the only minor blemishes we could find were a tiny paint chip in the rear which has been touched in, and a hairline crack in the leading edge of the bonnet. The vehicle comes with a fully illustrated history file, documenting the restoration carried out by the factory. It naturally comes complete with a full set of tools and also an Aston Martin car care kit and dust sheet cover. It has a period radio fitted and the paintwork is a highly attractive shade of metallic grey. Without doubt this convertible has been restored to the highest degree as one would expect from the factory and with modern materials and working pratices is probably better than when it first left Newport Pagnell some thirty years ago.