1964 AUSTIN-HEALEY 3000 MK III ROADSTER
Registration No. TBA
Chassis No. HBJ8L37678
British racing green with black leather interior
Engine: six cylinder in-line, pushrod overhead valves, twin SU carburettors, 2912cc, 148bhp at 5250rpm; Gearbox: manual four-speed with synchromesh; Suspension: front independent by wishbones and coil springs, rear live axle with transverse control arm or radius rods, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel power-assisted hydraulically-operated drums. Left hand drive.
At the London Motor Show of 1952, the Donald Healey Motor Company, which had been building modest numbers of well-respected, quite expensive high performance sporting cars, launched a two-seater sports model aimed at a wider market, using a tuned Austin A90 four-cylinder engine and running gear. Good-looking, fast, simple to manufacture, the type was adopted by the Austin Motor Company, now a part of British Motor Corporation, and went into production as the 90bhp Austin-Healey 100. It did well in the market place and in competitions until it was succeeded in 1956 by the 100 six, powered by a weighty overhead valve six cylinder engine yielding 102bhp already seen in BMC's large saloons. At the same time, the 100 was extensively revised, given a longer wheelbase, a little more room inside, and provided with more creature comforts than the pared-down fours. The 'Big-Healeys', skilfully prepared at Abingdon by the works team and driven with great panache, shone in that golden era of long-distance International rallies over the still uncluttered roads of Europe.
Finally in 1964 came the 3000 MK III, generally considered to be the finest varient of them all. It was more a convertible than a roadster with its wind-up windows, excellent hood and two plus two seating. In the cockpit there was a varnished timber dashboard with the traditional sports-car array of instruments, a central console between the comfortable bucket seats and well fitted carpets. There was also a more curved windscreen with quarter windows. But with nearly 150bhp on tap and surging mid-range torque, the MK III was as accelerative as ever - 0 to 60 mph took only 11.2 secs - and its 121mph maximum speed was readily obtainable. With large, power-boosted drum-brakes and predictable handling, this last of Healey's big sixes was exhilarating to drive and continued to sell briskly around the world. Fifteen years after the momentous appearance at the London show Donald Healey's fluent styling had not dated, but safety and emission regulations, particularly in the USA brought production of one of the greatest of traditional English sportscars to close in 1967.
This particular example has benefited from a complete mechanical and body restoration with "ADC Classic Car Restorations" in Bishop's Stortford, and has been driven only a few thousand miles since. Desirable options include chrome wire wheels fitted with new radial tyres, a wood-rim steering wheel and a modern radio. Being 'on the button' it is ready for open top summer motoring or participation in one of the numerous historic rallies in continental Europe. The car is UK registered with a V5 registration certificate and comes with a current MOT.