1964 MORGAN PLUS FOUR SUPERSPORT DROPHEAD COUPE
Serial No. 5730
Engine No. TS 75786
Burgundy with brown leather interior and beige soft top
Engine: four cylinder, in-line, pushrod overhead valve, 2,138cc, 125bhp at 5,000rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual with synchromesh; Suspension: front sliding pillars with coil springs, rear semi-elliptic springs; Brakes: front disc, rear drum. Left hand drive.
The Morgan Motor Company Limited has been building cars at its Malvern home since 1909. Initially they produced the now famous three wheelers, but their attention to four wheel cars started with a prototype built during the First World War. However, it was not until the mid-thirties that a four wheel car became available, the 4/4 which featured a Coventry Climax four cylinder engine displacing 1,122cc. Using the time honored and traditional coachbuilding method of fitting a steel or aluminum body over an ash frame, by 1950 a new Plus Four was offered with a bigger engine. Morgan then offered two models with either a Ford (for the Series 1) or a more expensive Triumph TR (for the Plus Four) engine fitted. They also offered a tuned Supersport model of which only 98 were built. As always there were a myriad of options available for the prospective customer and these included fog lamps, badge bar, heater, wheel trims, upholstery choice, steering wheel and more.
The car offered here is one of only four Plus Four Supersports fitted with a two seater drophead coupe body. It was also equipped by the factory with the Lawrence Tune engine, oil cooler, wire wheels, heater and wood rim steering wheel. Records show that the Morgan was first sold in England to a Lieutenant Howard D. Loitwood and possibly came straight to America as it is a left hand drive car. The history is certainly traceable back to 1974 since it has been titled in California beginning then. The current owner, a well-known exhibitor and respected judge at Pebble Beach for a number of years, acquired the car in 1989 and embarked upon a high quality concours restoration. Since restoration the Morgan has been shown just four times and has won its class four times. In 1998 it was awarded Best of Show at Mog West in Cambria, CA. In 1999 at the Ninetieth Anniversary of Morgan there was an all-Morgan class at Pebble Beach and this car became the only Morgan to have ever won a class there too. The Pebble Beach plaque is included in the sale with the car. Again a First in Class was awarded at the Newport Beach Concours and more recently in 2002 it received First in Class at the Palos Verdes concours.
Morgans have always had a niche following among enthusiasts and output from the factory still remains in modest numbers. Even today the elusive new Morgan with a seven year plus waiting list gallantly defies its production car rivals. This is an opportunity to join a select number of Morgan motorists who enjoy this charismatic marque by aquiring an extremely rare model equipped with all the period performance parts.