1965 AUSTIN-HEALEY 3000 Mk III CONVERTIBLE
Chassis No. H-BJ8-L/31918
Engine No. 29K-RU-H/6263
British Racing Green with black leather interior
Engine: in-line, six cylinder, pushrod overhead valves, twin SU carburetors, 2,912cc., 148bhp at 5,350rpm; Gearbox: manual four-speed with overdrive; Suspension: front, independent by wishbones and coil springs, rear, live axle with transverse control arm or radius rods, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel power assisted hydraulically operated drum. Left hand drive.
At the London Motor Show of 1952, the Donald Healey Motor Company, which had been building modest numbers of well-respected, quite expensive, high performance sporting cars, launched a two-seater sports model aimed at a wider market using a tuned Austin A90 four-cylinder engine and running gear. Good-looking, fast, simple to manufacture, the type was adopted by the Austin Motor Company, then a part of British Motor Corporation, and went into production as the 90 bhp Austin-Healey 100. It did well in the market place and in competitions until it was succeeded in 1956 by the 100 Six, powered by a weighty overhead valve six cylinder engine yielding 102 bhp already seen in BMC's large saloons. At the same time, the 100 was extensively revised; it was given a longer wheelbase, a little more room inside, and was provided with more creature comforts than the pared-down fours. The 'Big Healeys', skillfully prepared at Abingdon by the Works team and driven with great panache, shone in that golden era of long-distance International rallies over the still uncluttered roads of Europe.
Finally in 1964 came the 3000 Mk III, generally considered to be the finest variant of them all. It was more convertible than the roadster with its wind-up windows, excellent hood and two plus two seating. In the cockpit there was a varnished timber dashboard with the traditional sports-car array of instruments, a central console between the comfortable bucket seats and well-fitted carpets. There was a more fully curved windscreen with quarter windows. But with nearly 150 bhp on tap and surging mid-range torque, the Mk III was as accelerative as ever - 0 to 60 mph took only 11.2 secs - and its 121 mph maximum speed was readily obtainable. With large, power-boosted drum-brakes and predictable handling, this last of Healey's big sixes was exhilarating to drive and continued to sell briskly around the world.
This 'Big Healey' has had a total chassis-up, nut and bolt re-build to the highest standard that includes preparing the metalwork with three coats of catalyzed urethane paint and building up the base coat and clear coat paintwork for the body work. The BRG and black interior are as per the original build specification and as confirmed by the BMIHT certificate accompanying the car. Further restoration work involved trimming the interior with Wilton wool carpeting and fitting Connolly leather hide to the front and rear seats. The Healey has an Everflex top, top boot, tonneau cover, reprint factory driver's handbook, 60-spoke chrome/stainless wire wheels, correct Michelin XZX radial tires and mild steel exhaust system. There is a fully documented photographic history of the restoration with receipts. With walnut veneer dashboard, curved windscreen and roll-up windows, accommodation is both practical and refined. When you add to that power brakes, revised rear suspension for greater ground clearance and almost 150 bhp, it is no surprise that these models remain highly desirable and coveted. We are delighted to be offering such a finely restored example.