1967 AUSTIN-HEALEY 3000 MK III PHASE 2 CONVERTIBLE
Chassis No. H-BJ8-L/41062
Engine No. 29K-RU-H/15682
Black with red Ambla interior and black soft top
Engine: in-line, six cylinder, pushrod overhead valves, twin SU carburetors, 2,912cc, 148bhp at 5,350rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual with overdrive; Suspension: front, independent by wishbones and coil springs, rear, live axle with transverse control arm or radius rods, semi-elliptic leaf springs; Brakes: four wheel power assisted hydraulically operated drum. Left hand drive.
The new Austin-Healey went into production in 1953 and was immediately popular in the US. The cars were well styled, inexpensive, tough and above all easy to drive, both for the sports car enthusiast who maybe fancied some light competition or for tooling down to the shops. The early four cylinder cars were superseded by a six cylinder model in 1956, appropriately named the 100/6 and these stayed in production until 1959 when the engine was considerably enlarged to 2,912cc, hence the name Healey 3000. These were altogether more powerful and faster, equipped with disc brakes and gave rise to the legend of the Big Healey.
Eventually in 1964 came the 3000 Mk III, generally considered to be the finest Healey variant of them all. It was more convertible than the roadster with its wind-up windows, excellent hood and two plus two seating. In the cockpit there was a varnished timber dashboard with the traditional sports car array of instruments, a central console between the comfortable bucket seats and well-fitted carpets.
This Big Healey is an original North American (Canadian) Export model that was dispatched from the factory on 11 April 1967. The destination dealer was Hamilton in Canada according to the BMIHT trace certificate now provided with the car. The car has had a total chassis-up, nut and bolt rebuild to the highest of standards by a marque expert; the chassis was repaired as required, resealed, primed and painted with tough polyurethane enamel and the body was then completed, stripped and primed before being painted with Du Pont basecoat/clearcoat to show standards. Mechanically, the Healey has a totally rebuilt engine (pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, timing chain, seals, etc.) including all ancillaries such as rebuilt starter, generator, clutch, distributor and carburetors. The gearbox was fully inspected, cleaned and resealed. The brake system was rebuilt (including the servo unit). The car has spotless black paintwork with red Ambla trim that was fitted as standard for all the North America export cars (this is a color change from the original).
The Healey has a new black Everflex soft top and top boot, a reprint Owner's manual, new Dayton 60 spoke stainless/chrome wire wheels with correct Michelin radial steel-belted tires and octagonal knock-offs. It also comes with a photograph album showing the restoration. With a walnut veneer dashboard, a heater, a curved windscreen and roll-up windows, accommodation is both practical and refined. The later built, double-large, light cars are the most desirable, with power brakes, overdrive, adjustable steering wheel and 150bhp on tap. We are delighted to be offering this finely restored, matching numbers, Phase Two sports convertible example, arguably in the best color combination, from the final year of the Big Healey's production.