1970 ALFA ROMEO GTAm 2000
Registration No: Unregistered
Chassis No: 1531231
Engine No: AD10
Red with black upholstery
Engine: four cylinder, twin overhead camshaft, 1985cc, 220bhp at 7200rpm, Spica fuel-injection, Gearbox: five speed manual with synchromesh; Suspension: independent front with coil springs, rear live axle with coil springs and Autodelta sliding block; Brakes: power -assisted disc brakes, front ventilated discs. Left hand drive.
The 1750 GTAm and 2000 GTAm derive from the 1750 Veloce coupe, the Am suffix being a shortened version of America, and referring to the source of the model, since the USA market necessitated fuel injection to be fitted on the 1750, which with full development brought twice the brake horsepower available from a standard carburettor car. The bodywork featured fibreglass doors, bonnet and dashboard and riveted fibreglass wings, it featured the typical Autodelta sliding block rear suspension to the lower the cars axis, thereby improving handling. The cars ran on 13 inch Campagnolo wheels, and had ventilated disc brakes. For these models the capacity was bought up to 2 litres: in addition, a new cylinder head was used. Autodelta, Alfa Romeo's competition arm, prepared the GTAm for the European Touring Car Championships, with drivers such as Andrea de Adamich, Carlo Fachetti and Gianluigi Picchi running them till 1973.
In 1970, the works entered 9 races, the Dutch driver Toine Hezemans, secured the European Driver's Championship winning six of these. The new regulation for Group 2 Touring - that is, cars numbering at least 1000 with the possibility of modifications - enabled Alfa Romeo to continue being victorious with the GTA as in previous championships. The following year, the class was divided and a new minimum weight introduced but despite this Hezemans was able to retain the championship for Touring Cars.
Figures suggest that there were 40 GTAms built, although the confirmed number is closer to half that. Fifteen cars were supplied directly to Autodelta for their own use - the recorded works cars. A handful of cars were sold to privateers who commissioned Autodelta to upgrade them to GTAm specification, three of these being exported to America and Angola, one to the Jolly Club and this car, 1531231, to Luigi Cecchini of Lucca, on 26th May 1970 as confirmed by Alfa Romeo Autodelta. The remainder of the 40 or so produced, is accounted for by privateers who bought parts from Autodelta and carried out conversions themselves.
This example debuted in the hands of Cecchini in the Coppa della Collina in June 1970, unfortunately it suffered in a minor incident, there appears to be no later known racing history after this event. The Alfa then went to Spain and was eventually bought by the present owner in Sicily in 1986. It was subsequently restored over a period of four years to its original condition and features full Autodelta specs, being fitted with correct 2 litre fuel injected and twin spark engine. On completion of the restoration the car was used in various historic competition events, including the Alfa Day at Monza in 1990. It has been featured in a number of Italian publications, Auto Capital in April 1992, and Routeclassic in December 1996. The car was driven by Teodora Zeccoli a original works driver, who wrote to the owner thanking him, and confirming the car was as it was when it originally raced and 'unbelievably fast'!
Use since restoration has been limited to 100km, and the car is reported to be in excellent condition. The car is eligible for the Tour Auto, Youngtimer series and a number of track events. It is offered for sale with a file containing a letter from Alfa Romeo, copy for the specification for the model with various photographs and the magazine articles the car was featured in.