1972 ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM VI LIMOUSINE
Coachwork by H.J. MULLINER, PARK WARD
Registration No. FUD 385K
Chassis No. PRH 4710
Engine No. 4710
Garnet over Gold with red and fawn interior
Engine V8, overhead valve, aluminium alloy crankcase, blocks and heads, single gear driven camshaft in the vee, 2 inclined valves per cylinder via pushrods and hydraulic tappets, two 1¾"SU carburettors, 6.7 litres: Gearbox: three speed automatic; Suspension: front independent wishbones and coil springs, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs and live axle; Brakes: dual circuit hydraulic, working on drums all round. Right hand drive.
The Rolls-Royce Phantoms of the late 1920's and 30's were built as chassis to be bodied by the best coachbuilders of the day who fitted them with luxurious limousine Coachwork, or sportsman's saloon and open bodywork for effortless touring. The Phantom I and II had straight six engines of increasing refinement with the passing of the years and were beautifully engineered. The Phantom III had a vee-twelve engine of spellbinding complexity. After the Second World War, from 1950 to 1956, Rolls-Royce built chassis for the Phantom IV using an eight cylinder, in-line engine of 5,675cc, but it was manufactured for heads of state only; a mere eighteen were made.
In 1960 the Phantom V followed, it was the first Phantom to have the vee-eight engine and was sold without restriction. Similarly, the Phantom VI, introduced in 1968 had no restrictions on sales: it was similar to the V but the engine capacity was increased to 6.7 litres, the gearbox was changed to three speeds, the brakes were operated hydraulically and power steering was fitted.
Despite the restrictions to sales being removed for the Phantom V and VI their customers remained heads of state, diplomatic missions and wealthy corporations. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth had Phantoms IV, V and VI serving together in the Royal Mews. One Phantom VI (Chassis No. PGH101) was presented to Her Majesty by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders to mark her Silver Jubilee Year, although it was not actually delivered until the following year - 1978.
Chassis Number PRH 4710 was originally supplied to G.J. Hawtree in Flackwell Heath Buckinghamshire though PJ Evans Ltd. Supplied in Garnet over Gold, the car was ordered with a generous amount of additional equipment. This included steel rims to the wheel arches, plain sundym glass thoughout, stereo type reproducer, television & cocktail cabinet and an intercom between front and rear compartments.
It is not known how long Mr Hawtree retained the car but it passed to a Mohammed Qabazard, from there we believe that the car joined a small but significant collection.
The paintwork and interior are in excellent condition thoughout indicating that the 18,000 miles is genuine. Not used for many years we would recommend that a careful re-commissioning programme be completed priory to any extensive use.
This extremely well specified Phantom is in excellent condition, which is ready for future concours events or just to be enjoyed. Regarded to many as the last true coachbuilt Rolls-Royce, these cars represent excellent value for money. The car is sold with a complete set of tools and a V5 registration document.