1975 ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM VI LANDAULETTE
COACHWORK BY H.J. MULLINER, PARK WARD
Registration No.OGV 366P
Chassis No. PRH 4807
Engine No. 4807
Caribbean blue with magnolia and fawn interior
Engine: V8, overhead valve, aluminium alloy crankcase, blocks and heads, single gear driven camshaft in the vee, 2 inclined valves per cylinder via pushrods and hydraulic tappets, two 1¾" SU carburettors, 6.7 litres; Gearbox: three speed automatic; Suspension; front independent wishbones and coil springs, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs and live axle; Brakes: dual circuit hydraulic, working on drums all round. Right hand drive.
The Rolls-Royce Phantoms of the late 1920's and 30's were built as chassis to be bodied by the best coachbuilders of the day who fitted them with luxurious limousine coachwork, or sportsman's saloon and open bodywork for effortless touring. The Phantom I and II had straight six engines of increasing refinement with the passing of the years, and were beautifully engineered. The Phantom III had a vee-twelve engine of spellbinding complexity. After the Second World War, from 1950 to 1956, Rolls-Royce built chassis for the Phantom IV using an eight cylinder, in-line engine of 5,675cc, but it was manufactured for Heads of State only; a mere eighteen were made.
The Phantom V followed, in 1960, it was the first Phantom to have the vee-eight engine and was sold without restriction. Similarly, the Phantom VI, introduced in 1968 had no restrictions on sales; it was similar to the V but the engine capacity was increased to 6.7 litres, the gearbox was changed to three speeds, the brakes were operated hydraulically and power steering was fitted.
Despite the restrictions to sales being removed for the Phantom V and VI their customers remained heads of state, diplomatic missions and wealthy corporations. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth had Phantoms IV, V and VI serving together in the Royal Mews. One Phantom VI (Chassis No.PGH 101) was presented to Her Majesty by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders to mark her Jubilee Year, although it was not actually delivered until the following year - 1978.
Late in Phantom V production, a coachwork style which had its origins in the earliest of carriage designs, the Landau, was developed for the latest Rolls-Royce. The design which featured a convertible rear section, which was particularly appropriate for state owned limousines, as when used for parades and demonstration events, it enabled the public to see the passengers, whilst they could remain comfortably and safely seated in the vehicle. This design, which was designated 2502 by H.J. Mulliner, continued to be produced on Phantom VI chassis on their introduction.
PRH 4807 is one such Landaulette and was originally supplied by Jack Barclay Ltd. in June 1976 to H.R.H. Princess Angari of…….
The build sheets for this remarkable Landaulette list features as: Sundym glass throughout, vanity mirrors to the fall tables in the rear, electrically operated rear seat to move 4 inches forward, a special division cabinet incorporating television, quadrophonic tape player and cocktail compartment, Frankfurt stereo radios to both front and rear compartments, leather Duchess straps to each 'D' post, and a telephone with front handset in place of the folding armrest, and rear handset in the nearside rear armrest.
Today, this detailed record confirms the Landaulette to be in much the same configuration as it was built, for it retains many of these details, with the addition of a period Pye telephone. The retractable rear section of the hood is electrically operated, and when open the movable rear seat is actually moved vertically so that it can raise passengers to above the level of the lowered hood, perhaps the build sheet is erroneous in this respect. A tailor made cover, hides and tidies the hood when it is lowered.
The cosmetic condition of the car in general appears to be very original, and may not have been restored, as even the specification concurs with the factory order.
Owing to the detailed and complicated mechanical, structural and electrical aspects of these Phantoms, we are not able to confirm its condition, however on our recent inspection we found it to be in good order throughout, with working electrics, and no evident mechanical faults. It was noted that the hood requires gentle manual assistance, but this is not deemed to be a problem worth attending to.
Acquired by the current owner 6 years ago, it has since been kept maintained by professional mechanics. It is sold with a current MoT and copies of Rolls-Royce build sheets.