1976 ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM VI LIMOUSINE
COACHWORK BY H.J. MULLINER - PARK WARD
Registration No. Not Registered
Chassis No. PRH 4848
Engine No. 4848
Athenian Blue with blue and beige interior
Engine: V8, overhead valve, aluminium alloy crankcase, blocks and heads, single gear driven camshaft in the vee, 2 inclined valves per cylinder via pushrods and hydraulic tappets, two 1¾"SU carburettors, 6.7 litres; Gearbox: three speed automatic; Suspension: front independent wishbones and coil springs, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs and live axle; Brakes: dual-circuit hydraulic, working on drums all round. Right hand drive.
The Rolls-Royce Phantoms of the late 1920's and 30's were built as chassis to be bodied by the best coachbuilders of the day who fitted them with luxuriuos limousine Coachwork, or sportsman's saloon and open bodywork for effortless touring. The Phantom I and II had straight six engines of increasing refinement with the passing of the years, and were beautifully engineered. The Phantom III had a vee-twelve engine of spellbinding complexity. After the Second World War, from 1950 to 1956, Rolls-Royce built chassis for the Phantom IV using an eight cylinder, in-line engine of 5,675cc, but it was manufactured for heads of state only; a mere eighteen were made.
The Phantom V followed, in 1960, it was the first Phantom to have the vee-eight engine and was sold without restriction. Similarly, the Phantom VI, introduced in 1968 had no restrictions on sales: it was similar to the V but the engine capacity was increased to 6.7 litres, the gearbox was changed to three speeds, the brakes were operated hydraulically and power steering was fitted.
Despite the restrictions to sales being removed for the Phantom V and VI, their customers remained heads-of-state, diplomatic missions and wealthy corporations. Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth had Phantoms IV, V and VI serving together in the Royal Mews. One Phantom VI (Chassis No. PGH101) was presented to Her Majesty by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders to mark her Silver Jubilee Year, although it was not actually delivered until the following year - 1978.
This Phantom was originally supplied to Jack Barclay Ltd for stock, not surprisingly very few optional extras were ordered to the already lavish specification. The car remained in stock for only one month before being despatched to its first owner Mr Panton of Marinjac Investments, Cottesmore Gardens London. Jack Barclay Ltd was to handle the sale of the car again to the second owner, to The Countess Beauchamp in 1985 with the mileage reading just 23,000 miles. It is not known how long the Countess owned the car, but we believe that the car joined the collection in the late 1980's.
The car paintwork is in good condition throughout, with the car still carrying the coat of arms of the Countess above the doors. The interior is again good order thoughout, showing minimal signs of wear. Due to the length of time that the car has been in the collection, Christie's would recommend that a full mechanical inspection be carried out before the car has any extensive use.