About the ship Edinburgh
The three masted barque Edinburgh was built in Quebec, Canada by William Charland in 1883. Christened by Lady Edinburgh, she was of Canadian registry but out of Glasgow, with an LOA of 223 ft and 1290 gross tons. Later, she was transferred to Italian registry, and from there it is unclear whether the ship or the figurehead was purchased by Mr. William Allen, the U.S. Consulate to Bermuda. Edinburgh was broken up in Bermuda in 1909.
John Rogerson (1837- 1925)
Born in Scotland in 1837, John Rogerson immigrated to the United States in 1849 at the age of twelve to join his father who was already living in Boston. Unfortunately, he arrived to find that his father had died, and moved to New Brunswick, Canada to live with his uncle. John Rogerson worked with his uncle, Edward Charters, for a short period of time before returning to Boston to work with John D. Fowle. Fowle was one of the best known of American ship carvers, and Rogerson worked with him for two years before returning to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada, to start his own business as a ship carver. Energetic swirling drapery, exaggerated relief, and tightly bound hair are all characteristics of Rogerson's work. He was a member of The Saint Andrew's Society of Saint John, and the President's chair, which is used at dinners and other special functions, was carved by John Rogerson in 1908. He also carved the pulpit from St. David's Church, at the age of eighty four. In addition to the figurehead for the Edinburgh, he also carved figureheads for the Lady Edmonton and Marco Polo. In all of these examples the figurehead is not so much a portrait, as it is a personification of its vessel. John Rogerson retired as a ship carver in 1887 and went to work at the local customhouse. He died in 1925.