This pocket globe belongs to a tradition of reworked copper-plates engraved by James Mynde (fl. 1740-1770) and originally issued by James Ferguson (1710-1776). In 1757, when Ferguson was forced to declare himself bankrupt, his plates were purchased by travelling lecturer and instrument-maker Benjamin Martin (1704-1782). Martin himself went bankrupt in 1782, and the plates ultimately came into the possession of Dudley Adams (1762-1839), before being reworked and issued as 'Lane's improved globe'. For an example of the Dudley Adams globe see Christie's King Street, 26 September 2007, lot 2.