The present cabaret is likely from a series of travel services in the Neuzierath form produced around 1856, each with a variant ground color. Records confirm that the Prussian royal family gave such cabarets as gifts, corroborating the traditional provenance of the present example as having been owned by the Kaiser.
For a blue-ground example attributed to this series and given by Princess Victoria to the English painter William Callow, see D.E. Ostergard, Ed., Along the Royal Road, New York, 1993, p. 174, fig. 62.