The original design for this shape of desk is generally credited to Josef Danhauser (d. 1829), as a related pattern survives in the archives of his Viennese manufactory which was granted a permit to manufacture all types of furniture in 1814 (see A. Wilkie, Biedermeier, New York, 1987, fig. 85). A similar cherry-veneered table with leather-lined top, and one other with walnut veneer, now in the Austrian Decorative Arts Museum, Vienna are also illustrated by Wilkie (figs. 87 and 86). The latter was commissioned about 1825 by the Archduchess Sophie for her appartment at Laxenburg, near Vienna. Related tables also survive in the Art Museum, Prague and the Nationalmuseum, Budapest (see Brgersinn und Aufbegehren, Vienna, 1987, cat. no. 8/36).