Built at Kiel Dockyard and launched in 1905, the light cruiser Königsberg was measured at 3,400 tons and her triple expansion engines powered by a Schulz-Thorneycroft boiler gave her a service speed of 23.5 knots. She mounted ten 4.1in. guns, eight 3 pdrs and two torpedo tubes. Based at Dar-es-Salem on the outbreak of War in 1914, she captured the City of Winchester which, having removed her coal and cargo of tea, she scuttled. A few weeks later she destroyed H.M.S. Pegasus which was docked for boiler repairs. Sighted in late November lying in the Rufuji river by H.M.S. Chatham, the steamer Newbridge was sunk across the channel to prevent her escape. A complicated effort to destroy her culminating in five British cruisers being deployed on blockade duties. It was not until the river H.M. Monitors Mersey and Severn, sent specially from Malta, bombarded her with the assistance of no less than four spotter planes that the Königsberg was finally destroyed on 11th July when her crew scuttled her. The wreck was disarmed and the guns used for the defence of German East Africa, being finally broken up 1963-65.