Geraert Peemans, recorded as working in Brussels 1660-1705
Vespasian and his son Titus, were renowned for their military conquests in the East, culminating with the capture of Jerusalem in A.D. 70. The rotunda above the city walls in the background may possibly be identified as the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem.
On June 17, 1715, Margrave Carl Wilhelm of Baden-Durlach (1679-1738) laid the foundation of a new city. In the center of the city layout was an octagonal tower built by Johann Heinrich Schwartz. On the southside of tower Friedrich von Batzenberg built a triple-winged schloss which was connected with the tower by a gallery.
In 1752, Margrave Karl Friedrich (1728-1811) and his wife Caroline Louise (1723-83) appointed Friedrich von Kesslau, with the task of rebuilding the castle. The interior documents this change of style from Rococo to Louis XVI. In the 19th century some rooms were decorated in the Empire and the Neo-Rococo styles.
Until 1918 Schloss Karlsruhe served as the residence of the Margraves of Baden-Durlach and the Grand Dukes of Baden. After the abdication of Friedrich II the castle became the home for the Badische Landesmuseum, which was rebuilt after its destruction in World War II.