Sold by the Order of the Board of Trustees of the Dayton Art Institute to Benefit the Acquisition Fund
A BYZANTINE MARBLE SARCOPHAGUS FRAGMENT
Circa 5th Century A.D.
Preserving a draped figure of an Evangelist, depicted frontally, standing within an arched colonnade, the column to the right spiral-fluted, the column to the left smooth, both with composite capitals, the figure holding a book in his left hand, his right raised in benediction, a partially preserved figure to the right
38½ in. (97.8 cm) high
Gift of the Honorable Jefferson Patterson, 1930
Acquired in the 1920's while he was with the U.S. diplomatic corps, possibly in Istanbul