Named after H.M.S Portland, Rear-Admiral Moresby's flagship, Portland Island is a place of archaeological and natural significance with evidence of native habitation going back some 3,000 years.
Portland Island, now also known as the Princess Margaret Marine Park, was returned to the people of Canada by Princess Margaret in 1967.
H.R.H. The Princess Margaret with Premier W. A. C. Bennett in Kelowna, British Columbia, 19 July 1958.
Courtesy of The British Columbia Archives, Victoria