Johann Heinrich Dannecker was born and had his early training in Stuttgart. He travelled to France and Italy - where he came under the classicizing influence of Canova - and returned to Stuttgart in 1790 where he became a professor at his old school, now renamed the Carlsschule. He had a prolific career in his native town but was known almost as much for his personal collection of antiquities as for his own sculpture.
The present ivory group of Ariadne is a reduction of the original marble carved by Dannecker between 1803 and 1814, and now in the Staatsgalerie, Stuttgart. It represents Ariadne, the daughter of King Minos of Crete, in triumph on the back of a panther, the companion of her husband Bacchus.
C.van Holst ed., Johann Heinrich Dannecker Der Bildhauer, Stuttgart, 1987, no.101, pp.288-294.