The present bust is after a 2nd century AD marble bust known as the Centocello Eros in the Pio Clementino Museum, Rome. Its arrival in Rome in 1792 resulted in a number of copies being made, some of just the head alone and a small number of the whole bust. Another example of this latter type can be found in the Villa Hamilton, Wölitz, Germany (Weiss, loc. cit.).