Hibbert Binney's most prominent public commissions as a sculptor are the rectangular carved stone relief of Cleopatra on the former Gaiety Theatre, now Marconi House, London, and a bronze group of Justice with seated figures at her feet on the corner of Piccadilly and St. James's Street, London.
Eugen Sandow was the founder of the sport of body-building and as famous in his day as Charles Atlas or Arnold Schwarzenegger. He came to London in 1889, where he appeared in music halls as "The Strongest Man in the World", and caused a sensation by lifting a carthorse with one hand. In the mid-1890s he was in America, where he was filmed by Thomas Edison. He was taken up by Florenz Ziegfeld, who engaged him for the Trocadero Music Hall in Chicago, where women queued up to pay the astonishing sum of $300 each to feel his muscles. Returning to England in 1897, he opened his Institute of Physical Culture at 32A St. James's Street, London, and started to organise the world's first major bodybuilding contest, which took place at the Albert Hall in 1901. The prizes were statuettes of Sandow, sculpted by F. W. Pomeroy (1856-1924), casts of which are still given to the winner of the body-builders' main competition, "Mr. Olympia".