John Elliott, Sr. first advertised as a cabinetmaker in the Pennsylvania Gazette after arriving from England in 1753. Recognizing the large German population in Pennsylvania, Elliott printed labels in both English and German, thereby appealing to a broader market. The label on this mirror is the latest of the bi-lingual labels Elliott employed, dating from 1768 to 1776. The English inscription reads, JOHN ELLIOTT, at his Looking-Glass Store the Sign of the Bell and Looking Glass, in Walnut Street, PHILADELPHIA,/Import[s a]nd Sells all Sorts of English Looking Glasses, at the lowest Rates. He also new Quicksilvers and Frame[s] old Glasses and supplies People with [new] Glass to their own Frames. See Antiques (June 1964), pp. 679-682; Downs, American Furniture (New York, 1952), figs. 254, 266. See also notes to lots 167, 219.