Bearing the ink inscription on the underside, the chest offered here is attributed to the master cabinetmaker of Philadelphia, Thomas Affleck (1740-1795). While the name of its probable first owner is only partially readable, "Mary Godp...," the delivery instructions clearly refer to Levi Hollingsworth (b. 1739), one of Affleck's most important patrons. Furniture commissioned by Hollingsworth from Affleck include the matching high chest and dressing table formerly in the Chipstone collection and sold in these Rooms, January 16, 1998, lot 501. A close examination with the chest's inscription and the detailed bill of sale from Affleck to John Cadwalader confirm the handwriting to be Affleck's (bill dated October 13, 1770 in the collection of the Historical Society of Philadelphia).