This richly moulded octagonal font, embellished with Tudor roses in cusped and quatrefoil tracery compartments and designed in the George III Gothic manner popularised by the architect James Wyatt (d.1813) is supported by cherubim heads, while its buttressed lower part displays pedestal-supported statues emblematic of the Christian and Cardinal virtues. The latter figures of Temperance, Fortitude, Justice and Prudence were derived from the Gothic chapel window of New College, Oxford, exhibited by Thomas Jervase in Pall Mall, 1783, and executed after a composition by Sir Joshua Reynolds. The font pattern, designed for Mrs Eleanor Coade by the architect Richard Holland (d.1827), was originally commissioned by R.M.T. Chiswell for the ST. George's Chapel at Debden Church, Essex. The latter, incorporating the Chiswell armorial shields, was inspected by King George III at Buckingham Palace in 1786 and was discussed at the time in the European Magazine. Another font of this pattern was displayed at Coade's gallery in 1799 but, like the one recorded at Milton Abbey, Dorset, its present whereabouts has not been traced. See A. Kelly Mrs Coade's Stone, Upton-upon-Severn, 1991, pp.109-111.