No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
This lot is subject to Collection and Storage charges
Crellin and Hutton, in their excellent analysis of the Wellcome Foundation mortar collection, (Medical History, Vol XVII, No.3, July, 1973, Pharmaceutical History and Its Sources in the Wellcome Collections, Part V), identified several mortars forms which they ascribed to ".......a large unidentified foundry flourishing in the second half of the seventeenth century". They suggested Lothbury and Aldersgate, both known to have supported a conclave of the metalworking trades, as possible locations for this foundry. There is one piece of evidence, hitherto unpublished, which although somewhat tenuous, supports the location of this "unidentified" foundry at Lothbury. A mortar in the collection of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, of a two-handled variety attributable to this foundry, is decorated on each side with a stamp of the crowned head of Charles II within a laurel wreath, the only known example of the use of this stamp on a mortar. The stamp was, however, used on a bell, the second at Great Stamford, Essex, dated 1684, along with the Royal Arms and cypher CR. These two latter stamps were also used on another bell, the treble at Wyverstone, Suffolk, signed HENRY YAXLE MADE ME 1674, (Deedes and Walters, Church Bells of Essex, 1909, plate XXXI, 2). It follows therefore that the crowned head within the laurel wreath was also a stamp used by Henry Yaxley, who seems to have been an itinerant founder. A search of the records for evidence of his domicile in the counties of Essex, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire has proved unfruitful. However, for London there are two register entries for a Henry Yaxley. His marriage is recorded, at St James's, Duke's Place: .....3rd September 1689 - Henry Yaxley to Mary Plaifood. A few months later, on 21st of February, 1690, at St Olave's, Old Jewry, their child was baptised: ......Margaret, dau' of Henry and Mary Yaxley. This may or may not be the same Henry Yaxley who made the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain mortar, but it is perhaps significant the St Olave's Church, on the corner of Old Jewry, is literally a few steps from Lothbury, on the opposite corner. M.F.