These are probably part of the collection of Cromwellian armour that John Evans the joyner spent 20 days in 1680 'stockinge peeces & pistolls..setting up rayles to hould musketts and Armour in the Hall'. Displayed to celebrate the family's exploits in the Civil War, Sir Richard Myddelton, 3rd Bt. continued to add to the collection in the 18th Century. They were subsequently moved to the new Servants Hall created on the South Side of the Courtyard in 1768, where '44 Old Muskets, 6 Drums, 6 Body Armour' are recorded in the 1795 Inventory. However, some of the armour, swords etc. found its way back to the Cromwell Hall under Pugin's antiquarian guidance, where it is visible in both The Hon. Mrs Mary Wombwell and Sarah Myddelton's Watercolours of 1862 and where they hung until recently.