In 1889 the Admiralty ordered two second class battleships, and later a third, for use on the China and Pacific stations. H.M.S. Renown was the third of these ships and was launched in 1895, 407 feet in length and displacing 12,350 tons, with a maximum speed of 18 knots. She mounted four 10-inch guns and 10 6-inch guns and carried four submerged torpedo tubes and one above the water.
H.M.S. Renown never performed the duties for which she was intended. Instead, she led a glamorous life with the great fleets from the beginning. Firstly, when new, she was flagship of the Diamond Jubilee Review in 1897, and immediately afterwards was second flagship in the Mediterranean Fleet, wearing the flag of Sir John Fisher. Two years later, when he returned as Commander-in-Chief, he re-hoisted his flag in H.M.S. Renown, and from 1899 to 1902 she was the principal flagship in the Royal Navy. In 1905, she took the Prince and Princess of Wales (later King George V and Queen Mary) to India. H.M.S. Renown was scrapped in 1914.