The steam yacht Minerva was designed and built by C. Hansen & Sons at East Cowes in 1875. Rigged as a screw barquentine, she was registered at 214½ tons gross (114½ net and 400 Thames) and measured 150 feet in length with a 24½ foot beam. Powered by a Maudslay Sons & Field engine, she was a handsome vessel and, in 1887, was owned by Mr. Robert Ashton of Queen's Park Mansions, St. James's Park, London. He had purchased her from the Earl of Pembroke in 1885 and kept her until about 1900 when she was sold to Armand Peynaud of Rouen. Thereafter changing hands several more times, she was last recorded in 1914 in Norwegian ownership.