With its restrained masculine dependence on flame-figured mahogany and linear ormolu mounts, this sécrétaire was probably bought by John, 6th Duke of Bedford in Paris in 1803. It is perhaps attributable to Alexandre Maigret (circa 1775-1826) on the basis of a commode stamped by him and sold at Christie's New York, 24 May 2001, lot 64. First listed as a tapissier and ébéniste circa 1775, Maigret was established at 20, rue Vivienne, next door to the marchand-mercier Martin-Eloi Lignereux, whom the Duke is known to have visited in 1803. Maigret was appointed fournisseur to the Garde-Meuble Impériale and collaborated on the production of ormolu with the Feuchères and Fossey workshops throughout his career. In fact, Maigret went so far as to acquire the stock-in-trade of Feuchère in 1829.