This dish was made in memory of vice-admiral Philip van der Goes (1651-1707). His coat-of-arms is depicted in the centre of the dish together with the eight arms of his ancestors.
Philips van der Goes started off his military career in the land forces. In 1678 he made a switch-over to the Amsterdam Admiralty. In 1691 he transferred to the Admiraliteit van de Maas, initially as a rear admiral, from 1697 as vice-admiral. As such he participated in the naval battle in the bay of Vigos (1702) during the War of the Spanish Succession, at which occasion a Spanish treasure-fleet was destroyed. In 1706 he was in command of the State’s squadron in the Mediterranean Sea. Here Philips van der Goes died after a short illness aboard his flagship De Beschermer (The Guardian) off the Var estuary on the 9th of July 1707. His intestines were buried in the gardens of the palace in Nice. His body was repatriated and was buried in Delft with due respect. (Literature: A.J. van der AA, “Philip van der Goes” in: Biografisch Woordenboek der Nederlanden, Haarlem, 1862, pp. 258-259.
Centraal Bureau voor de Genealogie, Nederlands Adelsboek, ’s-Gravenhage, 1993, pp. 262-39)