The arms are those of Antnio de Arajo e Azevedo, Count da Barca. He was born in Portugal in 1754, and after a few years in academic fields, pursued a career in the diplomatic service. He was Minister and Ambassador Extraordinary to the Hague in 1787 and later went to Paris where he negotiated the peace treaty and friendly relations with France in 1797. After periods in Germany and St. Petersburg, he moved with the Portuguese court to Rio de Janeiro in 1808, where he constructed a botanical garden into which he introduced tea planting, and was involved in encouraging pottery production, wine production, the establishment of the Royal press and the foundation of the Academy of Fine Arts. He became Minister of Naval Affairs in 1814, and died in Brazil in 1817.
The arms on this service were designed by Francesco Bartolozzi who, following a liason with Angelica Kauffman in England, fled to Portugal where he became friends with the Count da Barca.
A tureen and cover from this service is illustrated by N. de Castro, Chinese Porcelain and the Heraldry of the Empire, 1988, p.185; another from the Mottahedeh Collection is illustrated by D. Howard and J. Ayers, China for the West, 1978, vol.II, no.382, p.386; a mazzarine from the Helena Woolworth McCann Collection, in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, is illustrated by J. G. Phillips, China-Trade Porcelain, 1956, pl.80 and by M. Beurdeley, Porcelain of the East India Companies, 1962, cat.64; and a plate from the Jorge Getulio Veiga Collection was sold Sotheby's London, 31 October 1989, lot 162.