This design made by Pronk in 1735 was the second drawing he made for the Dutch East India Company. Due to the expense of transferring the subject onto porcelain, the volume of Pronk's work is small and only two orders of this design are believed to have been placed: the first was carried to the Netherlands on the Hogersmilde at the end of 1738, followed by the second order in the next year. This may explain the variation in border design: some dishes and plates have three fish in a cartouche, as in the present lot, and some one or two. A further simplified version of the design, which excludes the standing man, was sent to Canton in 1739. See C.J.A. Jörg, Pronk Porcelain, Groningen, 1980, pp. 26-30 for a discussion on this design.