This central scene was used within at least three different border designs between 1760 and 1790, and those with the bianco-sopra-bianco design such as on the present example represents the earlier services. A dish with this design from a similarly early service is illustrated by J. A. Lloyd Hyde, Oriental Lowestoft, Chinese Export Porcelain, Newport, 1964, pl.XII, fig.33. Other pieces from a slightly later service are illustrated by J. G. Phillips, China Trade Porcelain, Harvard University Press, 1960, pp.210-211, pls.107 and 108; by M. Beurdeley, Porcelain of the East India Companies, London, 1962, p.167, cat.81; by Howard and Ayers, China for the West, London and New York, 1978, vol.II, no.478; and by Hervouët and Bruneau, La Porcelaine des Compagnies des Indes à Décor Occidental, Paris, 1986, p.105, fig.4.74. See also a soup-plate of this later service, from the Dr Anton C.R. Dreesmann collection, sold in these Rooms, 10 April 2002, lot 465.