This 'half-palmette' fragment, together with the fragment of horizontal frieze in the following lot, were originally part of the extraordinary shimmering mosaic scheme devised by Tiffany for the entrance hall of the New York home of Louisine and Henry Osborne Havemeyer, completed in 1892.
The residence, at 1 East 61st Street, was demolished in the 1930s. Further mosaic panelling from the same interior is now part of the permanent collection of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
cf. Alice Cooney Frelinghuysen, Louis Comfort Tiffany at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1998, pp 12 -15, discussion of the Havemeyer House, with archive photographs.