Other nearly identical side chairs stamped by Stephen Badlam and probably from the same set as that illustrated here are at Winterthur and the Metropolitan Museum of Art (accession number 10.125.320). A third nearly identical chair sold in these rooms, January 16, 1998 lot 263.
Stephen Badlam, who was a major in the Revolutionary War, established a thriving cabinetmaking business on Old Plymouth Road in Dorchester Lower Mills in 1776. His patrons included the Derbys of Salem and his furniture was retailed by makers such as Thomas Seymour of Boston. For more on Badlam see Swan, "General Stephen Badlam cabinet and looking glass maker," Antiques (May 1954), pp.380-383.