One of a few examples of the extension table that has an American origin, this table was originally a very large form composed of three parts and is thought to have been owned by descendants of the renowned patriot, John Hancock (1737-1793) in the 19th century. According to Nonie D. Tupper of Tupper & Goodridge of Boston, who sold this table to the consignor's family in 1928, some of the furniture from the Hancock house in Quincy, Massachusetts was sold in 1860 and the three-part table went to the Carr family in Virginia. Later, the table was divided with two of the sections selling privately in Boston and the section offered here purchased by Tupper & Goodbridge in 1921.
For a similar example see Sack, American Antiques from Israel Sack Collection, volume 3 (New York, 1972), p. 809 and volume 4 (New York, 1974), p. 994. The former source references two closely related tables exhibited at Gore House, Waltham, Massachusetts and the White House.