Designed by the famous G.L. Watson and built by Napier, Shanks & Bell at Glasgow in 1896, Maria was owned by Mr. Ninian Stewart of Torquay, a yachtsman who also owned and raced the 50-ton yawl Neptune. Rigged as a screw schooner, Maria was registered at 786 tons gross (534 net & 815 Thames) and measured 228 feet in length with a 28 foot beam. A handsome vessel sporting two decks and lit throughout by electricity, her triple-expansion three-cylinder engines were manufactured by Rowans of Glasgow and generated 165hp. Rated 100A1 by Lloyds' surveyors, she was initially berthed at Greenock where she remained until sold and briefly renamed Delaware. Sold again in 1907, this time to C. Ledyard Blair of New York who renamed her Diana, he kept her until at least 1914 after which she disappears from record, possibly a casualty of the Great War.