Caption for B&W: George II cup and cover by William Cripps, 1755. Christie's New York.
The arms are those of Thornhill of Stanton-in-the-Peak, Derbyshire, quartering those of Bache, Hopton. Eyre, Gell, Padley and Nicholas.
Recently, the importance of William Cripps as a member of the "Lamerie Group" has been examined (C. Hartop, The Huguenot Legacy: English Silver 1680-1760 from the Alan and Simone Hartman Collection, 1996, p. 52). In 1742, Cripps took over premises which had previously been occupied by Christian Hillan, next door to Nicholas Sprimont in Compton Street, Soho. In 1746 he moved to St. James's but seems to have remained a member of the group, for there is great similarity between work bearing his mark and that from Lamerie, Henry Hayens, Philips Garden and other members of the group. We know that Cripps supplied Garden with finished silver (and indeed Garden may have been a retailer and not a manufacturer at all) and it may be that it was Cripps and not Garden, as is generally supposed, who purchased Paul de Lamerie's "curious patterns and tools" at Mr. Langford's auction the year following Lamerie's death in 1751. Lamerie's last apprentice, Samuel Hodgson, joined Cripps's workshop after the former's death. The distinctive putto riding a bacchic goat, which appears on this punch bowl and on a cup and cover of 1755, also from Cripps's workshop, features on work with Lamerie's mark, such as the cup and cover of 1742 in the Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts.