A FINE GEORGE III IRISH CIRCULAR FREEDOM BOX, the base engraved with a coat-of-arms within sheild-shaped cartouche and ribbon-tied husk and foliage surround, the detachable slightly domed cover engraved with a further coat-of-arms by James Keating, Dublin, 1801
2¾in. (7cm.) wide
The arms on the cover are those of Hardwicke for Philip, 3rd Earl of Hardwicke K.G. P.C. (1757-1834), M.P. for Cambridge from 1780 to 1790, Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire from 1790-1884 and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1801 to 1806. He married Elizabeth, daughter of the 5th Earl Balcarres on the 24th July 1742.
The arms on the base are those of Trinity College, Dublin. It is apparent that this box was presented to Lord Hardwicke following his appointment as Lord Lieutentant of Ireland