The arms are those of Grosvenor impaling those of Egerton as borne by Robert, 2nd Earl Grosvenor (1767-1845) and his wife Eleanor (d. 1846), daughter of Thomas (Egerton), 1st Earl of Wilton (d. 1814), whom he married in 1794. Lord Grosvenor was created Marquess of Westminster in 1831.
Educated at Harrow and Trinity College, Oxford, Lord Grosvenor twice went on the Grand Tour. He had a successful political career, becoming a Lord of the Admiralty in 1789 and a commissioner of the Board of Control in 1793. He was a keen follower of the turf and owned some of the most famous horses of the day. Lord Grosvenor is best remembered however for his development of his London estates, now called Belgravia, under the architectural direction of Thomas Cubitt (1788-1855).
Soon after he became 2nd Earl Grosvenor in 1802, he began to extensively rebuild Eaton Hall, Cheshire. It is during this period that Lord Grosvenor commissioned an extensive silver service from Rundell & Bridge and refurbished his existing plate. A set of four silver entree dishes from the Grosvenor service sold in these Rooms, October 19, 2001, lot 235. Another Hester Bateman silver-gilt cup of similar design is illustrated in Peter Waldron, The Price Guide to Antique Silver, 2nd ed., 1982, no. 550.
Robert, 2nd Earl Grosvenor (1767-1845), By kind permission of His Grace the Duke of Westminster OBE TD DL