Alluded to in A Whitsuntide Ramble to Capesthorne Park, Macclesfield, 1850, p. 59: "On the top of the Bookcase are ranged several Busts of Terra Cotta, brought from the tombs of Etruria."
Guide to Capesthorne Hall, Including a Description of the Special Exhibition "Treasures from Italy", 1956-1958.
C. Vermeule and D. von Bothmer, 'Notes on a New Edition of Michaelis: Ancient Marbles in Great Britain', Part 3:1, American Journal of Archaeology, Vol. 63, No. 2, April 1959, p. 147.
L. Bromley-Davenport, Guide to Capesthorne Hall, Sandbach, 1979, p. 5, fig. 7.
C. A. Picón, Classical Antiquities from Private Collections in Great Britain, London, 1986, p. 33, no. 33.
Carlos Picón, op.cit., notes that this is possibly from an architectural rather than a free-standing monument. A similar head from Calvi (Cales, Campania), now in the British Museum (no. GR 1856.12-26.447), is thought however to be a part of a statue that was either a cult image or a votive object. These terracotta heads are probably a product of combined Etruscan and Latin or Campanian artistic development.