Jean-François Garand was apprenticed from 1753 onwards to Léopold Artaut, and in 1740 to Richard Jarry, both Parisian master goldsmiths. He was registered as a master in 1748, under the sponsorship of Jarry. Living on the pont Notre-Dame, he took the shop there belonging to the widow of the master Jean-François Ravechet at the sign of the Observatoire.
Garand was one of the suppliers of jewellery to the Menus-Plaisirs du Roi, and was also mentioned in the records of the Présents du Roi as having supplied in particular the jewels delivered to the maquis de l'Hôpital, ambassador to the Imperial Russian Court in 1757 for presentation to the Empress. Garand was elected as an officer of his Guild in 1772, and became Treasurer the following year. He died at Passy, near Paris, in 1778. His widow, however, kept on the shop on the pont Notre-Dame.