FIELD - MARSHAL LORD HAIG
One of Britain's greatest soldiers, Douglas Haig not only bore with skill and determination the burden of commanding between 1915 and 1919 the then greatest Army that the British Empire had ever placed in the field but also, after the Great War, brought those same qualities to bear in his determination to devote himself to the interests and problems of ex-Servicemen. By 1920 a number of ex-servicemens welfare organizations had been welded into the now famous British Legion and this result was essentially the work of one man, Haig.
Douglas Haig was born in Edinburgh in 1861 and concluded his formal education at Brasenose College, Oxford. As a University candidate he then entered the RMC Sandhurst where he became noted for his zeal and hard work. In 1885 he was commissioned into the 7th. Hussars.
A variety of appointments in due course found him in Egypt, South Africa, India and, in 1912, as GOC Aldershot Command. He was created KCB in 1913. In August 1914 he went with the B.E.F. to France commanding 1 Corps. After the First Battle of Ypres Sir Douglas Haig was promoted full general for distinguished service and appointed commander of the First Army, then newly formed.
In December 1915, following the removal of Sir John French, Haig was appointed commander-in-chief of the British Armies in France. Thus began his great period of service to his country and nothing from without - political, military or popular diverted his purpose from the prosecution of the war.
At the conclusion of the Great War, Haig, a greatly honoured and decorated Field Marshal might have felt able to claim any appointment that could be offered him. The possibility of his becoming Viceroy of India was, for example, often considered. However, to his lasting credit and, in due course, to the benefit of so many he turned aside and directed his full attention to the problems of ex-Servicemen.
He found this task was not without very real difficulties but he worked at it with the greatest determination and the British Legion organization remains today a great memorial to a great soldier.
The makers have kindly confirmed that the guns were completed in 1887 for the Earl Haig and that conversion to ejector was effected elsewhere. The guns have remained in the family's possession until this year